A ROYAL ENGAGEMENT
NB As with all rapid-response assemblies, you might need to update this assembly.
Suitable for Whole School
To explore the royal engagement.
Preparation and materials
Download pictures of Prince William and Kate Middleton (many are available on the Internet).
- On Tuesday the 16th of November, the engagement of Prince William to Kate Middleton was announced. There has been amazing media interest from all over the world, as Prince William is the eldest son of Prince Charles and second in line to the throne, and so, one day, should be king.
- Kate and William met while they were at university in St Andrews in Scotland eight years ago, and have been together, apart from a short break, ever since. William proposed while they were on holiday in Kenya recently, and their families are clearly delighted at the news.
- The sapphire and diamond ring that William gave to Kate was the one that his mother, Princess Diana, was given by Prince Charles when they became engaged in 1980. That marriage was not successful, and Diana died tragically in a car crash in Paris in 1997. Prince William and his brother Prince Harry were very young to lose their mother, and many people were devastated by her death.
- Prince William has said that he gave Kate the chance to say ‘no’ if she didn’t want to become part of the public life that the British royal family live. Certainly for Diana, the media interest in her life was at times difficult for her to handle, although at other times she seemed to make the most of her high profile position. Kate knows she will be closely watched and photographed as she prepares to marry William, and for the rest of her life.
- An engagement is an agreement that the couple will marry. Marriage is intended to be for the rest of your life, and is a huge commitment. It can also be very hard, as the couple work together through good times and more difficult ones, supporting and loving each other.
William and Kate’s marriage will begin with a huge day for the couple – they will probably marry at Westminster Abbey in London, with a worldwide television audience of many millions watching the ceremony. They will then go to Buckingham Palace for their reception – a huge party.
- When Prince Charles married Diana, thousands went up to London to cheer them on their way, and a bank holiday was declared so the whole nation could celebrate.
- No date has yet been announced, but it is expected that the couple will marry in the late spring or early summer of next year. Planning has already begun.
- As with any engagement, this is a time of great happiness for the couple and it has been described as good news as many people face a tough new year following government cuts.
Time for reflection
Light a candle and pause.
Let’s think about the good news that William and Kate are to marry.
We give thanks for all those who have supported William and Kate throughout their lives:
their parents and families, friends and others they work with.
We think of them as they prepare for their very public marriage and life together.
And we remember all those preparing to marry in the New Year,
asking God to bless them, and their families.
‘The best gift’ (Come and Praise, 59)